This year’s Music Box of Horrors will be taking place on October 19th, starting at noon and going through to noon on Sunday. And as usual, they have the start of an amazing lineup, including the silent film The Man Who Laughs (1928) with a live original score from Maxx McGathey. Of course, the one who won’t be laughing is me, since we will not be attending this year’s marathon. We’ve been to everyone since they started back in 2005 and are really bummed to have to miss this one. But we were already committed to be at the Monster Bash Conference in Pennsylvania instead.
BUT… those of you who won’t be missing it, here are the titles they have announced so far:
- The Man Who Laughs (1928) with live original score from Maxx McGathey.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992) – the film that started the long running series.
- Bloody Muscle Body Builder in Hell (1992) – Rare gore-filled haunted house flick from director Shinji Nishimura, playing on the big screen in Chicago for the first time.
- The Fly II (1989) – The sequel to Cronenberg’s masterpiece, with makeup make Chris Walas directing. If you like gooey special makeup effects and squashed heads, you need to see this.
- Event Horizon (1997) – Paul W.S. Anderson’s sci-fi tale of a spaceship that comes back from the dead
- Alligator (1980) – Lewis Teague’s entertaining urban legend breaks from the sewers!
- Tetsuo: The Iron Man (1989) – Shinya Tsukamoto’s groundbreaking hyper-kinetic tale of a quiet business man being taken over by metal! Has to be seen to believed.
Advance tickets are $30 or $35 on the day of the event. If you’re a Music Box Member, then it is $5 cheaper. For all the latest updates about this event, head over to their website HERE.