Ah yes…another fond memory from the old grey market VHS days. Finding an uncut version of Jean Brismée The Devil’s Nightmare (1971) was something you were always on the lookout. Even if you were lucky enough to score the big box VHS of it, under the title The Devil Walks at Midnight, you still were missing footage. Thankfully it was released on DVD in its uncut form, but now, Mondo Macabro is setting out to do that one even better with its HD debut of a brand new restoration from the uncut negative!
On January 24th, they will be taking pre-orders for their new Blu-ray release of this great Euro-horror classic. There will be a limited edition version, with a standard one being available at a later date. Final details on the specs are being worked out still, and there might be different specs between the limited edition and the regular ones, but here is what they have released so far:
- Both English and French language tracks
- Commentary by Troy Howarth
- First ever interview with director Jean Brismée
- Interview with second unit director Robert Lombaerts
- Underground filmmaker Roland Lethem talks about Belgian filmmaking in the ’70s
- Exclusive booklet featuring brand new writing on the film by Pete Tombs
- Set of postcards reproducing the original ad art
- Reversible box art
Make sure you mark your calendars and head over HERE next month on the 24th, because this is one title you’re not going to want to miss.